Sunday 19 July 2015

Christian Analysis: The Shepherd Psalm - Psalm 23


The Christian article was originally posted by Mavisguy212 of Nairaland. It gives an awesome analysis of Psalm 23. Read, enjoy and be enlightened.


The Shepherd Psalm - Psalm 23

Psalm 23 has six verses.It is especially appreciated by unsaved church people who like to think the Lord is their Shepherd when He's not. Unfortunately, some of the better known portions of Scripture are the portions that deal with anything except salvation. Perhaps the most well known verses of Scripture--or portions--are the Sermon on the Mount, I Corinthians 13, the Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, and Psalm 23. Now, the reason why these are favorites is because nothing in one of those passages could tell anybody how to be saved. And all those passages assume the man is either an Old Testament saint or a New Testament saint. So all unsaved people like those portions of Scripture that don't call their sins to their attention.



But since we(born again) are saved, we do know the Lord is our Shepherd, and that He is our personal Shepherd. And I can truthfully say that the Lord is my shepherd individually.



This is the Shepherd Psalm.Psalm 22 deals with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and resurrection. Psalm 23, then, deals with the relationship of the Lord Jesus Christ to the individual saint after the resurrection. And Psalm 24 plainly speaks of the Second Advent of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Psalms are laid out in prophetic order: Psalm 22, the crucifixion; Psalm 23, a picture of the Church Age; and Psalm 24, a picture of the Second Advent.

Psalm 23 has a beautiful outline: In verse 1 we have a happy life. In verse 4 we have a happy death. And in verse 6 we have a happy eternity. In the great Psalm, Psalm 23, we find the Lord is with me, He is beneath me, He is before me, He is around me, He is after me, and He is ahead of me. Psalm 23 is David historically speaking about his relationship with the Lord, and pictures the relationship of the Christian who's got into the right fold.

The Lord is my shepherd" Notice the personal wording. The Lord is not our shepherd. The Lord is my shepherd. There's a big difference when you get to know the Shepherd. "The Lord is my shepherd.

The Lord is my Shepherd: That's Relationship!
I shall not want: That's Supply!
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: That's Rest!
He leadeth me beside the still waters: That's Refreshment!
He restoreth my soul: That's Healing!
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness: That's Guidance!
For His name sake: That's Purpose!
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death: That's Testing!
I will fear no evil: That's Protection!
For Thou art with me: That's Faithfulness!
Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me: That's Discipline!
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: That's Hope!
Thou annointest my head with oil: That's Consecration!
My cup runneth over: That's Abundance!
Surely goodness and mercyshall follow me all the days of my life: That's Blessing!
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord: That's Security!
Forever: That's Eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment